When the weather cools, some pests become more aggressive about invading homes. Because Texas doesn't get as cold as other parts of the country, most pests in the area don't hibernate like they do in more northern states. However, it does get cold enough to reduce the viable food sources many pests rely on to survive. This is why you might see an increase in some pests during the winter months. These pests include:
- Rodents such as rats and mice
- Wildlife like squirrels, raccoons, and opossums
To keep your Plano home protected from the pests that want to hide inside when it gets cold, you can start prepping in the fall to get ahead of the problems before they start.
Problems Pests Cause In Plano Homes
Pests can cause a multitude of problems once they infest a home. These problems range from health concerns to property damage.
The Diseases Some Pests Can Spread Include:
- Rodents can cause plague, hantavirus, rat-bite fever, leptospirosis, and typhus
- Cockroaches are known to spread dysentery, cholera, and salmonellosis
- Wildlife can carry rabies, tuberculosis, and tularemia
While fleas and ticks are also pests, many other critters can carry these parasites into your home, spreading them to people and pets. Many pests can cause asthma and allergies by stirring up dust and leaving shed skin and waste behind.
Another way pests can make people sick is by contaminating food and surfaces with the bacteria they carry. It's not a secret that some pests can bite, transmit disease, cause infection and allergic reactions.
Pests are also known for causing property damage by chewing through the materials that make up a home, furniture, and personal belongings. This damage can also weaken your home's structure and lead to other problems.
If a pest infests your home, you won't only have to deal with the problems listed above, but you will also see the effect of stress, which can lead to a lack of sleep. Plus, you will waste time and money, especially if you try and t0 take care of the infestation on your own. The best way to get ahead of these problems is with prevention.
Pest Prevention For Plano Homes
Good fall prevention is the best way to keep pests away during the winter months. The following are tips you should implement on your Plano property:
- Inspect and seal the exterior of your home, such as the foundation, for cracks that pests can slip through.
- Fill in gaps around doors and window frames.
- Place screens and door sweeps on all doors and windows and keep them closed as often as possible.
- Deep clean your home to remove crumbs from under heavy appliances and the back of cupboards.
- Store food in air-tight containers.
- Make sure your garbage cans can't be opened or knocked over easily.
- Take care of any moisture issues on your property.
While you should use these tips on your property, you may want to consider the benefits of ongoing pest control.
Professional Pest Control For Plano Homes
With professional assistance, the most effective way to deal with a pest problem, especially in the winter for overwintering pest control in Plano, Texas, you should contact DANCAN, The Pest Control Expert.
When it comes to general pest control, you don't need to wait until there is a problem. With our ongoing services, you can be protected year-round from the pests that want to get inside your home as the weather cools down. We guarantee your satisfaction, so give us a call at DANCAN, The Pest Control Expert, today!