Did you know cockroaches can live up to a week without their head? It’s true, and they only die because they aren’t able to eat or drink. This is only one example of why cockroaches are a formidable pest that challenges homeowners.
Three cockroach species are common to the Plano, Texas area:
- Oriental cockroaches are dark or oily black, about one inch long, and are found around sewer drains and other dark and damp places.
- American cockroaches are reddish-brown, grow between one and one ½ inches long, and prefer warm areas with high moisture levels.
- German cockroaches are tan to light brown with two dark stripes on the back of their head, grow between ¼ to 5/8 of an inch long, and prefer moist areas like kitchens and bathrooms.
Cockroaches aren’t picky eaters, eating everything from people and pet food, rotting meat, book bindings, blood, feces, grease, and more. This can make any residential property a buffet for these pests. Their diet is another reason why cockroaches are formidable pests.
As a Plano resident, you should know the other reasons as to how and why cockroaches get into homes and why it’s nearly impossible to get rid of them on your own.
What Problems Can Cockroaches Cause?
Like most people, you probably know how gross cockroaches are, but not that they are also dangerous. But here are some reasons why cockroaches are bad news in residential homes:
- This pest can spread bacteria throughout a home, causing salmonella, E. coli, dysentery, giardia, gastroenteritis, typhoid fever, and more.
- They leave feces and ruin wherever they go, contaminating surfaces, food, and personal hygiene products.
- They have an extensive diet, which can lead to the destruction of your home and belongings, including damage to flooring, clothing, furniture, and more.
- Cockroaches shed skin and leave carcasses in places they frequent, which can trigger allergies and asthma.
- They can also create a musty odor, which gets worse as the infestation grows.
Understanding the dangers of a cockroach infestation is helpful, but it won’t keep this pest out of your home. To do this, you need to know more about why they are so difficult to control.
Why Is Cockroach Control So Difficult?
Cockroaches get into homes through small holes and cracks in the foundation and exterior walls, getting in through gaps around windows and doors, and hitching a ride on belongings. Once inside, well, you already know cockroaches will wreak havoc.
Because cockroaches live in some of the dirtiest environments, cockroaches have robust immune systems that also help them become increasingly resistant to conventional pesticides. This is why the baits and sprays you see at the store are ineffective against this pest.
To get rid of a cockroach infestation, you need to remove it in its entirety, or else it will continue to reproduce and worsen. Doing this solo is nearly impossible because cockroaches are quick and good at hiding. However, professionals have the knowledge and skills needed to get the job done.
How Can I Protect My Home Against Cockroaches?
The best way to protect you and your family from the dangers of cockroaches is with professional help. If you are in Plano, Texas, and are tired of stressing about cockroaches, contact DANCAN, The Pest Control Expert.
We offer cockroach prevention and removal as a part of our home pest control protection plans. With DANCAN, The Pest Control Expert, your satisfaction is our guarantee.