Plano, Texas, was once a quaint farming community, but it has blossomed into a "City of Excellence" over the years. This growing population is host to a large suburban population and many Fortune 1000 companies. The mosquito is one pest in the area that welcomes new folks to the neighborhood. Without effective pest control in Plano, residents may increasingly be the featured item on the mosquito's menu.
Differences Between Mosquitoes And Flies
When it comes to mosquitoes and flies, both drive people crazy! They both belong to the same order (Diptera) and have similar characteristics. Flies come in many shapes and sizes, making it challenging to know whether the insect buzzing in your ear is a fly or a mosquito.
Five differences between mosquitoes and flies include:
- Mosquitoes tend to be gray, often having white, green, silver, or iridescent blue scales and white stripes on their abdomen; flies tend to be brown, black, yellow, or even an iridescent green.
- Mosquitoes are narrow, oval, and have long, thin legs; some flies may look similar (like a crane fly), but for the most part, many flies people tend to deal with daily seem to appear rounder and heavier.
- Mosquito movements do not appear as fast or erratic as flies.
- Mosquito sizes average 1/4 to 3/8 inches long; flies can be as small as 1mm and more significant than 1 inch.
- The female mosquito uses her needle-like mouthpart to pierce the skin and extract blood used to reproduce. Flies liquefy their food and use their mouthparts to suck up partially digested juices.
Both flies and mosquitoes in Plano can transmit diseases to humans, but mosquitoes reign supreme as one of the deadliest animals in the world. With this kind of reputation, property owners should have DANCAN The Pest Control Expert saved in their contacts to ensure they keep mosquitoes away.
Three Problems Mosquitoes Cause
Every year people die from diseases that are transmitted when a mosquito bites. While everyone is familiar with their bite, which leaves an itchy welt and scratches like crazy, few take the diseases they spread seriously.
Three problems mosquito bites cause in the United States include:
- West Nile virus
- Eastern equine encephalitis
- Dengue fever
While most mosquito bites will not result in anything but an irritating, scratchy welt, people cannot underestimate the potential for sickness and severe health complications. An uptick in mosquito encounters on your property increases your risk. For effective mosquito control, it is wise to call the professionals at DANCAN The Pest Control Expert.
Is There Anything I Can Do To Prevent Mosquitoes?
Property owners can institute some prevention measures to help them get rid of mosquitoes in their yards. Some simple yard maintenance can go a long way to reducing mosquito populations at home.
Five tips to help prevent mosquitoes include:
- Trimming hedges and bushes
- Keeping grass short
- Eliminating standing water sources
- Removing yard debris that holds water (including leaves)
- Keeping gutters/drains free-flowing
An abundance of water sources makes for a mosquito playground. The pest professionals at DANCAN The Pest Control Expert can help property owners identify breeding grounds and suggest mosquito treatments that make yards less appealing.
Benefits Of Professional Mosquito Control
Being able to enjoy your property without the annoyance of mosquitoes is priceless. DANCAN The Pest Control Expert has pest control solutions that protect your property and restrict mosquito breeding. Weekly and bi-weekly follow-up treatments are also available to ramp up protection. If you're looking for a pest company that goes out of its way for its customers, contact DANCAN The Pest Control Expert today and get started on our effective mosquito control services in Plano.