Squirrels are creatures that can be rather cute to look at. They scurry up trees and have large, black eyes, and their behavior can be entertaining to watch; however, while these rodents might be fun to watch while in the park, you don’t want to have them in your yard. Squirrels in Plano can cause more problems than you might think, as they can be both dangerous and destructive, so this guide has the information you need about squirrels in the area. Learn more about preventing squirrels and where to find Plano pest control for wildlife.
The Types Of Squirrels That Hang Around Yards
The two main kinds of squirrels in Plano around yards are fox and gray squirrels. Both of these species are rodents, and they are known for climbing up into trees to find food and shelter.
Here is how you can identify each of these species:
- Fox Squirrels: This species has a heavy body, tail, and belly reddish-yellow color. The fur on their bodies is a gray color with reddish-yellow mixed in.
- Gray Squirrels: These squirrels have a more slender body and are slightly smaller than the fox squirrel. They have grayish fur, and the tips of their tails are white.
The Diseases Squirrels Are Capable Of Spreading
Squirrels might seem harmless, but they can pose similar kinds of problems that other rodents do. They can chew through many different materials and damage wires, pipes, plastic, drywall, and much more.
But, the even bigger issue is that squirrels can be dangerous. They can transmit many different illnesses, including leptospirosis that is spread when urine comes into contact with open wounds. They can also carry rabies. Squirrels often have parasites such as ticks and fleas, spreading diseases such as Lyme disease and the Bubonic plague.
These facts indicate that squirrels are a potentially dangerous problem to have around your yard. Luckily, the DANCAN The Pest Control experts can handle these pests through our wildlife control plans.
Effective Squirrel Prevention Tips For Plano Properties
Along with wildlife control services from the experts, you can also take some time to prevent squirrels on your own. You can lower your chances of dealing with a squirrel problem by reducing the factors that attract them in the first place. Here are some steps you can take:
- Remove bird feeders and store pet food indoors.
- Keep trees and shrubs trimmed and maintained.
- Make it more difficult for squirrels to enter your home by covering the chimney with a cap and sealing up holes in the walls and foundation with steel wool or wire mesh.
- Reduce moisture problems around the property by removing standing water and fixing leaky pipes and faucets.
The Safest Way To Keep Squirrels Away From Your Plano Property
While you can take steps to deter squirrels, the best way to prevent and remove these pests is with assistance from the pest professionals at DANCAN The Pest Control Expert. Our services can remove squirrels while keeping you and your family safe. You won’t have to worry about these pesky creatures, and you’ll save time, hassle, and stress by contacting our pest professional team today. Just give us a call to get started.