Termites collectively cause homeowners billions of dollars worth of damage annually. What's even worse, this damage often isn't covered by homeowners insurance. In the end, the best way to protect your wallet and home from termite damage is by eliciting professional termite prevention and control services.
Here in Plano, we have to deal with both subterranean and drywood termites.
Termites exist in a caste system that includes workers, soldiers, and reproductives. They are about 1/8 of an inch in size, but you're highly unlikely to see them as they remain hidden underground and within the walls of your home. If you do see termites, you will witness a termite swarm. When termites swarm, reproductive emerge from the nest to mate and establish a sister colony. Suppose you see a termite swarm or find discarded wings. Swarms indicate the presence of an established colony nearby.
What Attracts Termites To Your Plano Home?
Put simply, wood attracts termites, most notably damp or damaged wood. Therefore, homes constructed primarily of wood are at heightened risk for termite infestations. Moreover, once infested, homes predominantly made of wood are at greater risk for severe structural damage since the entire structure depends on the wood. Inside a home, termites can feed on cabinets, floors, and wooden furniture. If left unchecked, termites can quickly dilapidate your home. They insidiously tear apart the structures they infest. Once an infestation has laid root in your home, it can remain undetected until significant damage has occurred. This is why the proper knowledge to identify and prevent an infestation is critical to avoid these expenses.
Signs You Have A Termite Problem
To prevent an infestation in your Plano home, you must first properly identify the subtle signs that come with one. Termites are small but destructive pests. A termite infestation can perniciously destroy your home before you notice the damage. Here are some signs you may have termites:
- Termites hollow out wood to create shelter. If your wood produces a hollow sound, it may be infested with termites.
- The damage that subterranean termites inflict on your subfloor can resemble water damage. If your floor looks riddled with water damage, you may have termites.
- You may notice the presence of small termite wings. Once termites land, they shed their wings. With larger infestations, termites may litter these wings all over your house.
- You may witness a swarm of termites. Termites swarm out of their nests to mate and find a new colony.
- You may find mud tubes. Mud tubes the size of a pencil serve as a junction point between your home and the ground. Subterranean termites rest underground and feed on your home intermittently. Mud tubes allow easy travel from the ground to your home.
- If you have drywood termites, you may see piles of frass or termite droppings. They resemble sawdust.
Preventing A Termite Infestation
Once you identify multiple signs of an infestation, you should first call for an inspection. If professionals confirm the presence of termites in your home, they’re much more equipped to remove them than you. Once your infestation has been removed, you can use these tips to prevent future infestations:
- Seal any possible entry points, including cracks, crevices, and holes.
- Check any wooden fences for signs of an infestation. These infestations may very well migrate to your home. Rotten wood fences are especially vulnerable to a termite infestation.
- Lastly, you should receive regular termite inspections, especially if your home is primarily made of wood.
If You Live In Plano, Call DANCAN The Pest Control Expert
Termite infestations can cause severe structural damage to your home. An infestation can gain an immense foothold on your home and your life, resulting in abject distress and expenses. DANCAN The Pest Control Experts offer preventative termite control as well as termite extermination. Therefore, if you're worried about a termite problem, we can help. If you're unlucky enough to notice an infestation, you should immediately call DANCAN The Pest Control Expert. Above all, we strive for customer satisfaction, and we’re willing to go the extra mile. Don’t let termites ruin your home. Please reach out to us at DANCAN The Pest Control Expert to learn more about our termite control options.